Alcohol & Drug Management
Sporting clubs play a pivotal role in the life of communities, particularly in rural and regional areas. A thriving sporting environment extends beyond the playing field. It’s a place that fosters a culture that is healthy, welcoming, family-friendly and inclusive of all. Sporting clubs are in a unique position to be able to influence healthy lifestyles of their members through off-field aspects at the club.
Ensuring that your club has a positive and supportive club culture means that you consider important issues such as alcohol and illicit drug use. The Club has in place policies and procedures that help educate members and set expected standards of behaviour, along with guidance for committees should an issue arise.
Sports Focus provide a guiding hand to assist clubs in in meeting their legal and ethical requirements when it comes to dealing with alcohol and illicit drugs within the club environment.
Sports Focus can help your club to work towards building a healthy and safe environment for your members. An important part of this is to ensure that alcohol management is a strong focus for your club.
Why is alcohol management important for a sporting club?
- It is a safer environment for your members and volunteers.
- You can attract more junior members and families.
- Demonstrating a healthy, safe environment is beneficial in the eyes of funders.
- You can set an example and be role models for the broader community.
What can your club do to improve alcohol management practices?
- Ensure you have a current liquor licence and understand and comply with the requirements.
- Ensure your bar servers are trained in the Responsible Serving of Alcohol. Contact Sports Focus for local course details.
- Have an Alcohol Management Policy in place which outlines the procedures in place to ensure a responsible approach to alcohol use.
- Join the Good Sports Program.
Sporting Clubs within the Loddon Campaspe Region can contact Sports Focus for any club development/support issues, including those relating to alcohol and other drugs.
CLICK HERE to contact Sports Focus.
About Good Sports
Good Sports is a free Australia-wide program building stronger community sporting clubs.
Good Sports is Australia’s largest community health sports program. It has been helping build strong community sporting clubs across Australia for over 20 years.
Designed for busy sports clubs, Good Sports takes the guess work out of complying with legal requirements and gives you the upper hand when it comes to attracting funding, new members and volunteers.
You can find out more about Good Sports or contact them directly here: https://goodsports.com.au/
Alcohol Management Policy template (PDF) – Play by the Rules
Safer Drinking at Sports Clubs – article by Good Sports
Top Tips for Responsible Clubs – article by Good Sports